Wednesday 14 December 2011

MY DARLING ROGER


My darling husband and my very best friend and companion Roger passed into the presence of his Father in Heaven this morning 15 December 2011 at 8.30. He died peacefully at home, which was his wish. He was 58 years old and gave in to the ravages of the dreadful and debilitating Motor Neurone Disease after a very tough fight of just over 2 years. He was so brave and stoic and just didn't want to give in.

I haven't asked Stewart's permission, but I am sure he would not mind me sharing this very special poem he has written about his dear friend Rog. We met Stewart (from Cairns) in Basel, I think it was in 2007 and we became good friends with him and his gorgeous Swiss wife Katja.



My friend left this world today.
His name was Roger Ridley.
Although MND came on slowly.
It took him way too quickly.

"You must meet Rog and Gaynor".
I was told at Centrepoint morning.
Who'd have thought a short time later.
He'd officiate at my wedding.

He was my go-to guy.
For all things model and manly.
We spent hours on building, walking and talking.
And the beer went down very gladly.

He left a lasting impression.
On me and everywhere he went.
So long to my mate Rog.
Thank you for being my friend.

Stewart

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Gaynor & family,
We were shocked to learn of your very sad news yesterday. We are thinking of you and holding you all in our hearts. It is a long time since we have seen you however we have very special memories of our times with you and Roger. Love Richard Jarrett & Di Trethewie

Anonymous said...

dear gaynor and family,
words can't describe the sadness i feel for your loss. you are in my thought and prayers at this difficult time.
all my love
your friend verena teale

Anonymous said...

Dear dear Gaynor,

I have been thinking of you these last few days, and then heard at Centrepoint about Roger's death. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers, but most importantly you are both in my heart. Thank you for that.
Love,
Rylla

Anonymous said...

Dear Gaynor,
just read the blog.
I was praying especially these last few days, knowing that Roger was near the end of life of earth. We will be singing and dancing together with him 'soon'.
Stay strong.
much love

Anonymous said...

I was in a low place when I met Roger... he pulled me up. He was an honest and real Christian. He was loving, brave and wise. He made a lifelong impression on me over a pizza in Basel.

He will be missed on earth but not forgotten. I look forward to seeing him in Heaven!

Gaynor, I know this Christmas will be rough... hang in there and now that you are loved. If you need anything let Jennee and I know.

With Love, Nat and Jennee Hines

Shelley said...

Thank you dear Gaynor, for sharing this difficult journey with us via your wonderful blog. We have time after time been inspired by your words.

I've tried to think of a favorite "Roger-memory", but realize that every moment with Roger was special. He was always quietly, gently, lovingly in charge, whether leading a conversation or leading us around winding streets. His laugh was infectious, and his words were always full of humor and wisdom. His pairing with Gaynor was one of God's best endeavors, and magic happened whenever they were near. We will dearly miss you Roger.
Until we meet again .....

Janelle said...

Hi Gaynor
Was just thinking of you now. Hope you are doing okay. I have special memories of Roger as my boss. Hopefully you can hang onto all your special memories to help you through each day.
Love Janelle Yeomans